Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dockin’ with rovin’ Rovilson

(Published June 11, PDI-2bU/Lifestyle)

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit
2bU Contributor

TV host and former “The Amazing Race Asia” contestant Rovilson Fernandez recently transformed into a living mannequin at the Dockers Power Plant Mall outlet.

For several minutes, he posed with two models at the shop’s display window, grinned for onlookers and lenspeople, and danced a cool permutation of “the robot” and miming (well, there was actual glass, but he didn’t really touch it).

The 34-year-old Fernandez, sporting the latest Dockers threads, later confessed that he’s a clothes-modeling newbie. But he loves learning new things, so doing that for the launch of new products was a worthwhile experience.

He mentions that aside from the “Amazing Race” gig, he’s had many chances to be spontaneous and to try out things.

“My first show was ‘Lakbay TV,’” he says. “It’s funny because they still air episodes where I still have hair. I honed my hosting there and in ‘Game Plan.’ That’s my niche: sports and travel.”

“Dockers khakis are basically for consumers who are youthful, definitely outgoing,” says Dockers Brand Leader Bobet Romualdo. “We believe Rovilson depicts that character. This product line is a balance between work and relaxation. He depicts the K1 man: He’s free-spirited, relaxed and he’s genuine!”

Here, Rovilson talks to 2bU about living a fun, adventurous, eyes-wide-open life.

You’ve obviously had tougher challenges before, but how did modeling that way feel?

It’s just funny; I was talking to Peter, one of the models, and I said, “Modeling is so hard.” I give much respect to them and their craft. Modeling is very tough. It’s an honor to be chosen. I’ve never done that--glass window modeling--before. So I thought it was pretty cool.

Any similar experiences where you did photo shoots like this before?

Never. They said 20 minutes. Us three models up there, we were counting down the 20 minutes. It was pretty tough but we had a lot of fun.

How do the clothes fit you and your lifestyle?

I just love the easy fit. It’s casual and it fits a lifestyle that I’m quite accustomed to. I don’t like flashy items; I’m a jeans and khakis guy. It’s perfect for me. Easygoing, casual, durable, and behind the name is quality. It’s also fashionable. It’s a 24-hour outfit.

You lived in the US before transferring here. What have you learned about Philippine life and Filipinos?

Oh. Wow. Gosh, in the eight years of living here, I’ve learned that money isn’t everything. I love living here. It’s a great place. There’s so much potential, not just for the Philippines but for Asia. You’re gonna be seeing the Philippines in the next decade, in all facets: media, business, travel… The peso’s doing great now. And Pinoys, in general, what they want is to have a good time. They want the easy route on how to do things. Can’t fault them for that, and I’m one of them!

How was joining TAR-Asia a beneficial experience, aside from the obvious region-wide exposure?

It was a dream come true! Shows like “Gameplan,” and “Lakbay TV” taught me well. The Philippines and the TV shows Marc and I did taught us to be successful. So our way of giving back to the country was to do well, to represent the country as best we could, to always be proud and carry the flag. I think we showed that, and demonstrated that Pinoys are hardworking yet happy-go-lucky people.

You and Marc worked well together. Did each of you have quirks that you had to accept, onscreen and off?

Nothing weird about that guy, except his sense of humor, but that’s what I love about him. His sense of humor is fantastic. We’ve been friends for a long time; we get along quite well and we both like the same things. We like a good laugh. We love traveling, we love adventure and we’re both competitive. He was the best partner.

Speaking of partners, you’re seeing some right now.

I’m quite smitten over a girl from the Race. We’re meeting each other. Long distance is tough, but we’re accepting of our careers and our situations. It’s fun!

What sports are you into right now?

I’m definitely into adventure racing. I like it because it combines these different disciplines: biking, swimming, hiking. And it’s always outdoors. I get bored easily, playing just one sport. This one combines a lot of disciplines so it’s a great sport for me. Joining “TAR,” which is the pinnacle of adventure sports, it was a dream come true.

What are you looking forward to doing now that it’s over?

I’m executive editor of Maxim magazine, so that’s my day job. I love Maxim. It’s a brand I grew up with. I think I represent the Maxim man. On top of that, I’m slowly getting sucked back to TV. I thought I was done with it. But thankfully, the success of the show has opened a lot of doors for Marc and I, not just locally, but regionally. So we’re fortunate.

What do you tell people who wish to follow in your footsteps?

Just be persistent. It took me eight years in the business to get to where I am now. Never give up on yourself. Always have faith in your abilities. Make a lot of friends, and remember, don’t burn bridges. The person that you’re in the trenches with one day will be your boss the next. Other than that, have fun!

No comments: