Saturday, October 04, 2008

Artisans All

In no particular order, some of my favorite comic book artists:

Doug Mahnke- I wasn’t interested in the Major Bummer book, but even then, I could see that he was really good. He deservingly took over JLA’s penciling duties eventually. Other memorable works include Justice League Elite, Final Crisis: Requiem and Black Adam: The Dark Age. He’s very good at facial expressions and musculature.

Bryan Hitch- This guy’s old stuff look like they were heavily inspired by Alan Davis, but he eventually broke out of it and developed his own style. His JLA and Ultimates runs are still very impressive.

Carlos Pacheco- I didn’t like his art before, back in the early 90s. His figures didn’t look solid or appealing enough. But I became a fan when I saw his much-improved Avengers Forever work. I also like his Fantastic Four stuff and the JLA/JSA one-shot.

George Perez- He greatly improved after his ‘70s Avengers run. Teen Titans, Crisis, Hulk: Future Imperfect, Avengers Vol. 3 and JLA-Avengers are my faves.

Gene Ha- This artist has a really distinct style and a great sense of design. He put a lot of detail into Cyclops and Phoenix, Green Lantern, Askani’son, Top Ten and Oktane.

Travis Charest- While not always a good storyteller, he does amazing, intricate illustrations. Charest evolved from a Jim Lee-Art Adams hybrid into a distinct artist whose style is often imitated by others. Too bad he rarely comes out with new work these days.

Art Adams- Like George Perez, Adams is great at doing big group shots and he’s also a good storyteller. I still love his art for Marvel annuals, covers and trading cards.

Salvador Larroca- I’m not a fan of his new photorealistic style, but I really enjoyed his stints in X-treme X-Men, X-Men, and Namor some years back. That style looked real good.

Pascual Ferry- I like his fusion of cartoony and semi-realistic styles in Superboy and Adam Strange.

Nick Manabat- Manabat’s illustrations are dark, menacing, and breathtaking. Check out some of the late artist’s work here.

Alan Davis- Miracleman, Clandestine and Excalibur. ‘Nuff said!

John Byrne- Back in the ‘80s, Byrne did everything, and incredibly. I love the writer-artist’s memorable stints in Uncanny X-Men, Alpha Flight, Fantastic Four and Avengers West Coast.

Walt Simonson- Some of his X-Factor issues stood out more than others. I love his Thor work better; he was perfect for it.

John Toledo- His style is quirky and solid; he’s got a strong command of design and ultra-detailed compositions.

Frank Quitely- New X-Men, We3 and All-Star Superman! Definitely some of my favorite books drawn by Quitely.

John Romita, Jr.- I liked his ‘80s to early ‘90s stuff like Uncanny X-Men, Spider-Man and Daredevil: Man Without Fear.

Leinil Francis Yu- I like his uninked pencils on New Avengers. I know, I must be one of the few. And I’m currently enjoying his inked Secret Invasion pages.

Olivier Coipel- While I’m not a fan of his Legion Lost, his art duties on the revamped Legion in the early ‘00s showed a more solid and attractive style. His recent Thor issues look good, too.

No comments: