Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sam Shines On a Rainy Day

My Sam Milby interview appeared in PDI-Lifestyle’s Fashion and Beauty section last Friday, Nov.15.

Sam shines on a rainy day
By Oliver M. Pulumbarit
Contributor
Photo by Benedict S. Bartolome

Three years after Sam Milby left the “Pinoy Big Brother” house, the actor-model-singer still sizzles, enjoying fame and fortune long after the proverbial 15 minutes.

Samuel Lloyd Milby grew up in Ohio and never expected to make it big in Philippine show business. But make it big, he did. He continues to adorn ads of all forms and sizes, act in teleseryes, and star in rom-com movies. The 24-year-old’s future in his profitable career is so bright that, as the old cliché goes, he’s got to wear shades.

Well, he does. Sam is the new endorser of i2i eyewear, and i2i’s stylish and trendsetting co-owner Tina Ocampo is very pleased with the brand’s newest face.

“I think he’s the perfect choice,” she said. “During the shoot, he was very patient. He doesn’t complain; he’s very professional. He was even very appreciative of having the food served to him and his staff. He really is a very kind man who’s appreciative of the littlest things. I’ve been listening to all his interviews. As an endorser, he grasps the whole idea of the product, which is essential.”

It was a rainy afternoon launch, but Sam spoke candidly to Inquirer--in Taglish--about eyewear, controversy, and his life a few years after 49 days in “PBB,” among other things.

How do you feel about being the next endorser of i2i?
It’s a huge blessing because ‘yung mga dating endorsers si Donita Rose, si Jericho Rosales, si Piolo Pascual. So to be in that line, I think it’s a big blessing. Maganda, stylish and affordable ang i2i. Maraming choices, malaki ang range nila. They’re very updated sa mga styles.

How is modeling eyewear different and what makes you perfect for it?
They said my features are balanced and not too overpowering. The photos really focus on the face, of course, and Tina said my face is not too simple, but my features are not too strong. So there’s a good balance.

Do you still talk to your old “Pinoy Big Brother” housemates?
Minsan. When they had a celebration, the anniversary, pero may trabaho. Out of lahat ng mga housemates, I’m closest to Say (Alonzo).

You’ve mentioned before that you never expected this kind of success. What are you learning about show biz and being a celebrity?
Well, the job isn’t as easy as a lot of people portray it to be. When I think about it now, I feel myself more blessed, kasi ang daming nasa show biz na they’ve been in it for how many years. Normally, you earn your way up. Pero ako, it was given to me just like that. I feel like I have a lot to learn. I don’t know if it’s proving myself; I just want to show improvement.
Before “PBB,” I was never an actor. I wasn’t even a singer, really, so I just don’t wanna stop learning. I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning. Ito ang trabahong gusto kong gawin talaga.

Which among those things do you prefer doing?
I love singing. It’s my first passion talaga. I play guitar. I miss jamming. One thing I love about music is jamming with a full band, pero wala akong banda ngayon. I have stage fright, though.
But I love acting, I love singing. I don’t see myself doing anything else, really.

You lived abroad, and are only learning Tagalog now…
I was born and raised in the States. Tagalog, mahirap talaga. ‘Yung start ng learning ko sa Tagalog, sa “PBB.” So mga three years na.

Did you ever hesitate about pursuing a career in show biz?
Wala akong times na ganyan. May mga panahon na parang gusto kong magpahinga. Gusto kong matulog; gusto kong magbakasyon. Kasi, dire-diretso trabaho ko. Minsan uuwi ako sa bahay para maligo lang, tapos alis agad. Dati talagang mas grabe ‘yung schedule ko. Ngayon, may mga times na may rest. Minsan nahihirapan ako matulog sa gabi. Bakasyon, that’s one thing I really want.

Where would you spend it?
Earlier this year, nagbakasyon ako. First time, actually, I went on vacation. I went to Thailand. Filipinos there recognized me. I wanted two weeks. I got four days. Nasa beach kami, tapos umulan. Traveling is one thing I love about the job. We’re doing a tour of Europe this month. I love traveling talaga, and seeing all the different cultures.

Name some show biz friends you’re learning from.
We have a small group, actually, that really helps me out. Every Sunday, pagkatapos ng “ASAP.” We’re Christians. They help you out and they pray for you if you’re having a problem.
Friends in my small group: si Christian Bautista, si Erik Santos, si Piolo, si Richard Poon din. I do get to hang out with Gab Valenciano, son of Gary V., sometimes. He has a bike and I was riding it. Sarap talaga. He’s the reason I bought a motor bike. Anne (Curtis) rode at the back when we went to Pampanga, one time.

Is Anne your girlfriend, and are you still “exclusively dating”?
Hindi. We’re not together. We’re not together. We’re known as a love team din, but, I mean… we work together in “Dyosa.” And we worked together in “Maging Sino Ka Man.”

Do you and your friends share acting or singing tips when you hang out?
They don’t really talk about show biz too much. It’s more about helping each other grow as Christians. But they do give me advice. Especially si Piolo, he’s a very great actor: “Your face is too distorted when you cry. You need to ano…” Mga ganyan.

Speaking of Piolo, you both decided to drop the libel suit against Lolit Solis. When you filed it, did you consider that you may be alienating gay fans, and that your strong denial might be construed as “being gay is wrong”?
Hindi. I wasn’t thinking that. It’s nothing against homosexuality at all. It’s more about writing something that was completely false; there was no truth to it at all. When you write something like that and you use the names, that’s what people believe. It’s nothing about being against homosexuality. It’s more about just having the truth come out because people are thinking the wrong thing.

So officially, what is your stance on gay people?
Well, I do work with them. When I was skating, my figure skating coach was even gay. So I have no problem with it at all. I have friends that are.

Describe your fitness regimen.
I really don’t have time to go to the gym now. Dati, I used to go once a week at least. I’m very busy. Before, I was very strict with my diet. No beef, no pork, I barely eat any sweets. No rice, no pasta. But chicken, fish and vegetables, I’d really eat them. I drink a lot of hot tea.
Right now, when I wake up, I try to do a set of 75 push-ups straight and right after that, 20 seconds later, I do sit-ups. I do 30 or 40 crunches, and I then do leg raises. It takes about five to six minutes. I always listen to music.

Were you always fit?
I was very fit. When I was skating, I had 4 % body fat, which was very, very lean. I was about 14 or 15. And then when I started high school, I gained a lot of weight ‘cause nagtrabaho ako sa fast food restaurant. I gained mga 30 pounds. I ate everything, the fries, the burgers, ang sarap! Discounted kasi.
I did wrestling in high school. I was 152 lbs. I was in that weight class. The next year, I was 170. If you see pictures of me, my face was really big. I lost the excess weight when I dieted.

Would you get naked in a movie now if the role calls for it?
I’m a naturally shy person. But at the same time, some roles require some things. It really depends on what the role calls for. If that’s required, we’ll see. I want to mature as an actor.

How comfortable are you playing the prosthetics-heavy character in Dyosa?
I like the character. Maraming nagsasabi, “Bakit masama ka?” But you’ll see a lot of changes. I think the character will be redeemed eventually. Hindi ko alam how, but you’ll see.
The prosthetics, they take one hour to put on. I’m not too fond of them anymore. In “My Big Love,” I had full-face prosthetics. Noong mga last days, I cringed. “I don’t like it anymore…” I’m a very patient person, but I’m not too fond of it. Mas lalo na kapag mainit. Mabilis talaga ako pawisan.

What do you want to be known for, eventually?
With acting, I wanna be known as versatile. I’m still a beginner. Si John Lloyd (Cruz), si Piolo, lahat sila, they’ve been acting ilang years na. I just want people to see improvement in my acting. Sa indie film, it’s action and suspense, so I’m excited. I think my acting’s improved in “Cul de Sac.” What I like about it is that it’s a good break from romantic movies. And I like the story.

How are you able to use your celebrity in supporting causes or charities?
Sometimes, we have charity concerts. But right now, I’ve been given a chance to be Department of Education’s youth spokesperson and role model. There are assemblies where they need encouragement to study, and to be against drugs and violence.
My first assembly was a couple of weeks ago, sa Baguio. Lahat ng mga youth leaders, the best students sa buong bansa, they were there. I was required to speak. And I performed din, syempre.

No comments: