Monday, December 01, 2008

Colbie Caillat Coolness

Unpublished Colbie Caillat article I wrote last March. I was sent to cover the event by a music mag. Sadly, it was in the throes of death at the time (or was being relaunched as another mag, that part’s unclear). So I’m sharing the article here before it gets too old.

Cool Colbie, hot ‘Coco

The singer-songwriter talks about stage fright, listening to her gut… and her uncanny resemblance to a certain American actress

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit

Colbie Caillat (pronounced kah-ley) is a fascinating conundrum. The first time you encounter the rising singer-songwriter’s “Bubbly” music video, you’ll easily notice the song’s laid-back catchiness and her warm voice, curiously soothing yet recognizably strong. And then there’s the next thing you’ll surely notice: She looks a lot like Jennifer Aniston. It’s easier for new fans to associate the song with the music artist, then, with such an easy and memorable point of reference.

Caillat is aware that she does look like the popular ex-Mrs. Pitt. “I can see it in the album cover,” she tells journalists at a press conference for her two shows at the Ayala malls last March. “I dunno, it’s a good compliment because she’s beautiful, she’s a great actress. It’s probably not good to look like a celebrity when you’re a new artist, but it’s still a good compliment.”

The 22-year-old singer from California answered questions confidently and calmly, already backed up by a year’s experience of touring and performing at radically different venues, and speaking with different countries’ entertainment writers. She talked enthusiastically about her well-received debut album, “Coco,” so named after her, well, nickname. With flower tucked in her hair, the incredibly poised Caillat generously recalled events leading to her discovery, and later sang a few lines from Bob Marley’s “Waiting In Vain.”

“I grew up listening to classic rock. I listened to Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell; I really got into Bob Marley and Neil Young. I also listen to John Mayer and Jack Johnson, music like that.”

She was exposed to many types of music and the industry early on; her father Ken co-produced two Fleetwood Mac albums and ran a record label some time back.

“My dad used to have a record label but he sold his share of the company,” she reveals. “What I learned about the industry, I guess you just have to go with your gut. That’s what I learned on my own when I was choosing a label. Honestly, I was so indecisive but I went with my gut feeling and I’m so happy about that because I think your gut tells you where you’re most comfortable in. In life, you have to be that way, especially in your career. So just watch out for yourself; you can’t really trust everyone.”

Singing has always been Caillat’s passion. As an 11-year-old, she felt that she could be really good at it. Her father recognized her potential, and soon encouraged her to write her own songs. Eventually, she got the hang of it. “It’s an amazing feeling when you can express your feelings in a song,” she says.

Both talents were honed through the years with the help of friends and musical collaborators, her style developing to include folk-pop touches. All she needed was the perfect venue for her music to be discovered, and the right people to appreciate her work. Enter the magic of the ‘Net.

“A couple of years ago, my friend told me about this thing called MySpace and that I should post my songs up. I didn’t know how to do it so he helped me make the page and I put my songs up. About six months later I had gotten a fan base. My plays on that page went from hundreds to thousands a day. After eight months I became the number one unsigned artist on MySpace. It was an unbelievable feeling. I didn’t really expect it.”

Caillat, who eventually recorded a song with acclaimed troubadour Jason Mraz, didn’t expect that promoting her first album, touring and doing shows would require so much hard work, but she appreciates every opportunity to do so.

“A year ago, I was working a regular job and writing songs on my spare time. It was just really mellow. I had all the time I wanted. Now, we fly to a different country every other day. My life is so busy. I just get used to it; it’s a growing experience.”

She appreciates the chance to create and share her art. And when she’s not making it, she grabs every chance to listen to music by her fellow artists.

“I’m really into Natasha Bedingfield and Amy Winehouse,” she enthuses. “I think their voices are beautiful and so strong. So I listen to them. I listen to John Mayer. New artists… OneRepublic! Those guys are just great.”

She admits that she’d like to write for Natasha Bedingfield one day. But before songwriting even became profitable, it has always been a helpful outlet.

“For me, songwriting is like therapy. When I’m done writing the songs, I finish crying a really good cry. I guess I’m holding all my emotions and when I’m ready to express them, I write a song. Because of that, people can relate to my music; these are experiences that everyone goes through in their life.”

Paradoxically, one specific song was inspired by something--or someone--she didn’t have.

“I didn’t write ‘Bubbly’ about a certain guy in particular,” Caillat candidly shares. “I was writing ‘Bubbly’ because I didn’t like anyone, I didn’t have a boyfriend and I miss having those feelings. I wanted to like someone. I wanted those feelings. I wanted a guy to give me butterflies in my stomach and make me smile, so I wrote it. It gave me a hopeful idea.”

Performing onstage and communicating with her audience isn’t always easy, Caillat adds, because she used to be a really shy person. She took--and later dropped--a junior college improv class, years ago.

“Actually I still have stage fright,” she says. “But once I’m out there I do have fun. I think you just get used to it. I’ve been performing for a year now so it’s gotten better and it’s becoming easier. When I have stage fright, I do lots of breathing techniques and stretches so I’m calm and I’m not hyperventilating. And I remember to smile!”

Caillat also encourages aspiring singers to follow their dreams, and practice every chance they get.

“Start performing live in front of people and get comfortable with that,” she addresses hopefuls. “Learn how to do it and talk to the crowd. Take vocal lessons. And try to become a songwriter because that’s really important!”

No comments: