Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Year in Words, Oh Eight Edition

In 2008, I:

- sort of planted a tree.
- sent over 6,300 text messages. Nah, I never forwarded a joke. I just checked; I sent a total of 29,724 messages. Bought the phone in 2003.
- lost, gained, and lost some pounds again.
- bought only a handful of toys, most of them at bargain prices.
- continued being a contributing writer and, occasionally, illustrator.
- counted Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men, Astro City: Beautie, Walking Dead # 48, Avengers: The Initiative, Secret Six and the all-new, all-different X-Force among my favorites.
- got royally, embarrassingly drunk. Listened and quietly sang along to Poison’s “Something to Believe In” in the cab after.
- enjoyed a short Baguio visit.
- drew some friends’ faces using gel pens.
- found myself drawn to, and liking, the irreverence of TMZ.
- had constantly changing sleep schedules.
- was among people who did a phoner with Vanessa Redgrave. Now that I think about it, oh my god, she answered my questions and said my name.
- sold a few unopened Lord of the Rings figures from 2002.
- got introduced at an event by my silver-tongued friend Mark as someone who “writes for the entertainment and lifestyle sections, and published his comic book when he was 12.”
- continued to be grateful for the generosity of old pals John, Benedict and newer friends.
- gladly couch potatoed and devoured great shows like True Blood, Rome, Doctor Who, Weeds, The Office, Flight of the Conchords, Dexter and many others. Oh, it was also the year when I got introduced to three Chucks (Gossip Girl, Pushing Daisies, Chuck).
- worried about money.
- was annoyed and saddened by the ignorance and homophobia of some people.
- memorized names of GI Joe and Transformers characters before a trivia contest.
- saw myself on TV four times.

My thanks to my friends, loved ones and readers for being supportive. May 2009 be a better, fruitful year for all of us.

No comments: