Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Cuddly Avengers Vs. Flex-Force

These days, anyone can be an Avenger. There are A-teams running around now with different reasons for existing. I’ve got my own dream lineups, teams that I think should one day exist. The Cuddly Avengers is one of those newer, less serious ideas that came to me just over a week ago. They’re cute, smart animal characters that live and fight in the Marvel Universe. Spider-Ham resides in another Marvel reality, but I just wanted to draw him in this group shot with Howard the Duck, Rocket Raccoon and Tippy Toe.

The other team is Flex-Force, inspired by groups with similarly powered members like X-Force or Thor Corps. The flexible, shapeshifting members are Warlock, Impossible Man, Slapstick and Morph. That’d be one crazy and fun team. I imagine that the interactions and dialogue would be just as crazy, since they’re mostly like sugar-high kids with well-meaning but recklessly executed ideas. The DC equivalent of the team would probably include Plastic Man, Offspring, Bat-Mite and maybe Johnny Thunder’s Thunderbolt.

I see the Cuddly Avengers and Flex-Force fighting and later, teaming up against a third cartoony-looking team consisting of Lockheed, HERBIE, Pym’s pet/ship Rover, and that bloodthirsty weirdo Doop.

I had fun, and time, obviously. Drew these on backing boards.

No comments: