Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Miguel Escueta wants to do epic rock

(Published Mar. 5, PDI-Entertainment)
By Oliver M. Pulumbarit
Contributor

Singer-songwriter Miguel Escueta was among promising performers who debuted five years ago, when “unplugged” music was already a fixture in the local bar scene. His solid renditions of songs by John Mayer, The Beatles and Goo-Goo Dolls were included in a compilation album of Magic 89.9’s “Acoustic Break” competition in 2003, where he won first runner-up. He played more covers in gigs for a year and a half, and eventually recorded his debut album “I am M.E.” (MCA Music).

Months before landing a record deal, he was finishing Business Management at the Ateneo De Manila University. While eyeing an assistant brand manager position offered by a prestigious company, he wondered about taking another career path.

Miguel said he found himself asking, “What about music? Bahala na. If I get this job, I’ll do it; if not, I’ll do music. I did not get the job, and I told myself, ‘Ito na, it’s music, all-out.”

Now 24, Miguel is busy planning a second album after the success of “I am M.E.,” which includes the well-received songs “Falling Away, “Isipin,” and “Take Me There.” Its repackaged version, “Amplified,” is a 2-CD set with extras like music videos and his versions of New Order’s “Blue Monday” and The Cure’s “Just Like Heaven.”

He plays at bars, but it’s on campuses where fans go “crazy all the time.” He constantly collaborates with his unnamed band, comprised of Jeng Tria (bass), Roy Secillano (drums), and Junie Devecais (lead guitar, album producer).

Miguel and singer Julianne also recorded a version of “This is Me,” a song from Disney’s “Camp Rock” movie.

What lyrics are easiest to write?

I write what I feel is poignant. I write what I feel at the moment. I’ve written songs after a breakup. I think my lyrics are very honest. As much as I take it from inside, I also make it a point that people could relate to it.

How do you keep your voice in shape?

I had laryngitis last year, but I’m 110% recovered. I have a professional vocal coach I see at least once a month. We have sessions to warm up my voice and stretch my pitch. I sing my songs and then she tells me, “This part, try to breathe more.” I didn’t know that she was the vocal coach for Pinoy Dream Academy.

Did guitar-playing come naturally?

I had fun learning the chords. I wanted to learn. Nasanay na nang nasanay. I don’t even consider myself a great guitar player. I just know how to play guitar. I know how to pull it off live.

How would you describe your music? Who are your biggest influences?

I think it’s an unconscious mix of the artists that I like. Sometimes I don’t notice that parang may Coldplay and Lifehouse elements. But the genre, it’s really alternative rock/melodic rock. Biggest influences: Coldplay and the Foo Fighters. Sometimes, I wanna be Chris Martin; when I’m angry it’s Dave Grohl.

Describe your rapport with the band.

Well, they have their own bands, but I think the most serious one is us. I’m signed as a solo artist, but parang band na rin kami gumalaw. Whenever I’m on tour and whenever I make music, I’m with them. I start with chords, lyrics. But the growth of the song, I bring it to them. It really grows, once you’re in the studio.

How was the Camp Rock song received?

I think they showed the video in many Asian countries. Sobra nga akong reluctant, “Sigurado ba kayo? Image ba natin ‘to?” Okay naman, kasi maraming kids who found out that I exist.

Did you have dreams of performing when you were a kid?

I didn’t think I was going to be a recording artist. I was a basketball player. In my senior year of high school, I was captain of the team and president of the student council. Music was just for fun talaga. My love for music just kept growing and growing. I really feel blessed to say, I really love performing. I love being on stage.

How different is your music now?

The newer stuff, people have been saying, it sounds like Foo Fighters. I’ve also been listening a lot to Our Lady Peace, their older albums. I was talking to the producer about the next album. We want “epic rock,” something heavy enough that we can play in the underground bars, and still be melodic to be in a movie soundtrack.

How do you feel about choosing this career?

It really doesn’t feel like a job, because I enjoy it. And at the same time, in terms of ‘yung kita, nakakaipon naman ako. The scary thing about being in this industry is, it isn’t as stable as a corporate job. But so far, it’s still good!

(album cover image from migsescueta.multiply.com)

No comments: