Sunday, April 26, 2009

Smurfs Up (Or, Vanity Fairest)

Summer weather’s been unpredictable. I’ve been cooped up in the house, mostly tuning out the world, and the weather was perfect for it. Verses of two songs about rainy summer days often played in my head. I did write and draw so it was still a productive week. I also watched several episodes of Futurama and Smurfs (a.k.a. Smurfs Adventures).

Smurfs is cute. I first watched the show when I was about nine. Of course, now that I’m grown up, I find the stories simple and too wholesome. But they were still enjoyable. And like He-Man and GI Joe, there are positive messages or lessons, but they’re often spoken about by Papa Smurf within each episode.

About 15 of the 101 Smurfs in the mushroom village are easily recognizable because of their distinct costume details and voices. Painter Smurf had a French accent; Tailor Smurf had an Italian accent, and so on. Oddly, there was someone named Pushover Smurf (he just can’t say no), who didn’t have any visible distinguishing feature. I don’t know if he appeared in more than one episode (I doubt it) but he seems like the type of character that easily gets old after a single spotlight story. Maybe the same can be said about Jokey Smurf and his exploding gift box, but I guess he’s a quick punchline, one that’s meant to appeal to younger kids. But I did find him corny when I was young.

Two characters I’m now curious about are Grouchy Smurf, whose few lines always start with “I hate,” and Vanity Smurf, the effem one with the flowered hat and mirror. Grouchy has a unique personality; looking at him now, I’m wondering why he’s that way. Does he hate everything because of some trauma, or was he born that way? I know I’m overthinking it, but I find him uniquely odd, maybe because there aren’t many non-villain cartoon characters like him these days.

As for Vanity, I found him strange as a kid. He’s fey, but he seems only in love with himself, so it must be a case of Narcissus Complex. He’s not a cross-dresser, but he can’t be seen without the flower accessory. Maybe he’s just eccentric, and doesn’t find the 99 other males attractive. Regardless, effeminate, vain gay people can probably relate to him. The gay guy could be Hefty Smurf, for all we know.

(Vanity Smurf pic from Bluebuddies)

2 comments:

Reno said...

If Vanity Smurf was narcissistic, shouldn't he find the other Smurfs attractive since they all look alike?

OLIVER said...

Good point, Reno. Strange thing about the characters, though, they're still able to distinguish despite their identical looks. And Vanity, maybe his complex is preventing him from looking at others the same way?

Maybe these questions will be answered when the Smurfs movie comes out. :D