Friday, July 17, 2009

Face Front

I was partly assimilated into Facebook because of emailed peer pressure, but I also jumped the bandwagon because of curiosity and the need for a new diversion. It’s basically a mash-up of social networking sites with chat and the usual content-sharing features.

It’s another way to keep in touch with old friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and people I’ve yet to meet. What’s time-consuming for me is looking through contacts’ contacts. I also like reading information on people I thought had vanished off the face of the earth. As it turns out, they just weren’t in the older networking sites.

The cool thing about it for me is getting updated on those people I haven’t heard from in a long time. I’ve contacted a few old classmates, and it’s nice to know that they have mostly fond memories of me. The site is also more widely used, so those who aren’t in my region are within reach. I thanked three American comic book writers I admire, and they responded nicely to my messages.

It was also funny when a former college classmate posted an old informal class picture, which I didn’t get back then. It was amusing to see myself with a full head of hair and a teenage physique. I miss the olden days, sometimes.

Yeah, Facebook is okay. I wouldn’t say it’s totally fun, just pleasantly diverting. And I don’t think I’ll be joining Mafia Wars and those other games any time soon. I’m content with checking out new content by several of my contacts, and gawking at people’s Walls and profiles, for now.

No comments: