Sunday, July 05, 2009

The Metamorphosis of Luis Alandy

(Published July 2, PDI-Entertainment)

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit

Contributor

Actor Luis Alandy has been in the business for 12 years, so he has seen many roles change and age with him in that span.

“Fortunately, I still keep getting good parts. I love acting,” he said.

From 2000 to 2006, he regularly appeared in ABS-CBN dramas such as “Pangako sa ‘Yo” and “Sa Dulo ng Walang Hanggan.” He was in big-screen comedies “Manay Po” and “Desperadas,” and the horror flick “Anino ng Setyembre.” He also landed parts in a couple of GMA 7 teleseryes.

The 29-year-old actor is currently appearing in GMA’s afternoon soap “Ngayon at Kailanman,” based on the 1992 movie that starred Sharon Cuneta and Richard Gomez. Alandy plays a scheming haciendero, a character originally portrayed by Mark Gil.

Describe how acting in the big networks’ shows contributed to your growth.

With ABS-CBN, I really learned and gained a lot of experience. The directors and actors there, they helped develop my confidence in acting. With GMA, kung ano ‘yung napag-aralan ko, I was given more chances to expound on it.

Did you dream of becoming an actor as a kid?

I wanted to join “Ang TV” when I was a kid. I think every kid naman, may ganoong fantasy. Growing up, I wanted to be a basketball player.

What’s the toughest thing about doing TV dramas?

It’s different here. For a taping, you’re required to be there for more than 24 hours, three or four times a week. Sometimes you don’t get a chance to be with your family. You’re tired, physically and mentally.

In your 12 years of acting, which project was the hardest?

It’s the stage play that I did, “All About Men.” We were required to act while wearing briefs only. Stage has always been difficult. Tuloy-tuloy, unlike when you do TV, puwedeng i-edit. And the piece given to me was a 5-page monologue. For me, acting-wise, I gained a lot of experience, but that was the hardest.

How choosy are you with roles?

If I don’t feel like I could give justice to that role, I have to beg off. Nagkaroon ng issue before, ba’t ko raw tinanggihan ‘yung “Manay Po 2.” During the time, Regal was only offering me gay roles. I think I’ve given justice to that role. It was also a gay role in “Desperadas.” I wanted them to give me a different responsibility.

What have you learned about the business, so far?

In showbiz, you don’t know the longevity of your career. You have to save for your future. Also, it’s important to not burn bridges with anyone. It’s a small industry. And if you keep improving your craft, people will recognize it.

No comments: