Sunday, January 17, 2010

Team Conan

“And I want to say to the kids out there watching, you can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too.” -- Conan O’Brien, in last week’s Tonight Show monologue

I faved a few Conan drawings at DeviantArt, and posted one of my own (above) last night. I’ve been a fan of the guy for a long time, and Robert Smigel’s Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

The late night talk show debacle has led to some interesting jab-filled monologues, and I must admit that I’m enjoying them. David Letterman is making fun of Jay Leno and an NBC exec, while Leno jokes about Letterman’s intern fetish. I still feel sad about Conan’s situation, but I’m glad that Rosie O’Donnell, Patton Oswalt, and Howard Stern have spoken up and sided with him on the controversy (look for the audio recordings on YouTube). I listened to their take on the drama, and yeah, they pretty much paint Jay Leno as the Big Bad in all this.

I suddenly became a fan of Jimmy Kimmel’s, because he totally owned Leno during his “10 @ 10” appearance.

Leno: What’s the best prank you ever pulled?

Kimmel: I think the best prank I ever pulled was I told a guy that, five years from now, “I’m gonna give you my show.” And then when the five years came, I gave it to him, and then I took it back almost instantly.

Leno: Ever order anything off the TV?

Kimmel: Like NBC ordered your show off the TV?

Leno: What’s the most number of lapdances you’ve had in one night?

Kimmel: Strippers, I don’t like in general because you have this phony relationship with them for money, similar to that when you and Conan were on the Tonight Show together, passing the torch? You know what I’m saying.

- - - -

Man, Kimmel is awesome. Anyway, if Conan really does leave NBC soon, I hope his new show on another network does really well.

No comments: