Monday, August 30, 2010

Rainbow Ranger

I just read about this last night. David Yost, who played Billy a.k.a the Blue Ranger for three years in “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,” revealed that he left the show because he was repeatedly taunted for being gay.

A week before leaving the show, Yost promised himself, “If I get called ‘faggot’ one more time, I’m walking because I can’t handle it anymore,” he said in the advocate.com article. He tried to “Pray the Gay Away” before suffering a nervous breakdown. He called prayer hotlines like the “700 Club,” and instead “was condemned over the phone.” Yost was hospitalized for five weeks but has recovered and eventually worked behind the scenes as a TV producer.

In the moving YouTube interview by No Pink Spandex, 41-year-old Yost said, “I had just heard that (“faggot”) several times while working on the show from creators, producers, writers, directors… Basically, I just felt like I was continually being told I was not worthy of being where I am because I’m a gay person. And I’m not supposed to be an actor; and I’m not a superhero.”

You’re a real hero, Mr. Yost. Thank you for being strong and brave.

No comments: