Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Half-Pinay Vanessa White jazzes up Brit girl band

(Published April 10, PDI-Entertainment)
By Oliver M. Pulumbarit
Contributor

“It’s really flattering,” said Filipino-British singer Vanessa White, about being compared with vocal powerhouses Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey.

White, 23, is the youngest member of the British girl band The Saturdays. She talked about her career and the group’s new reality series, “Chasing The Saturdays” during a recent teleconference with Asian publications.

“My mom is from Davao,” White revealed. “She’s a nurse and I have a younger sister. My family and I try to go to the Philippines often. I’ve been there quite a few times. I like going back whenever I can—usually at Christmastime. I want to visit Boracay again.”

Together since 2007, the five-member group is being touted as the next Spice Girls.

After four hit albums, members of The Saturdays welcome the comparison and are “enjoying the pressure,” hoping for even a fraction of the iconic ’90s girl group’s success.

White added, however: “At the end of the day we are The Saturdays. We’re not trying to be anyone else. We really hope to go international.”

According to White, “Chasing The Saturdays” is an unscripted reality series that shows the group’s typical work routines. Apart from the show biz aspect, it shows bits and pieces of the members’ personal lives.

“I’m a bit of a private person, but what is seen on the show is very real and we want everyone to see what exactly goes on,” she said.

Being together for many years has developed the group’s sisterly dynamic: “We get [along] very well; we’re really lucky. That’s the key. I think the ingredients to our success are that we don’t argue, we’re always there for each other, and we’re supportive of one another.”

Aside from “Chasing The Saturdays,” White and the rest of the group are promoting “Chase,” their latest hit album. She expressed interest in touring and performing in Asia, eventually.

She also described herself as The Saturdays’ party girl: “My role in the group is, I like to go and have a good time! So, if anyone is in the mood for a party, you know I am always in the mood!”

A fan of Sharon Cuneta, Aiza Seguerra and Charice, White appeared in the West End productions of “The Lion King” and “The King and I” when she was a child.

But she revealed that her actual singing influences include someone she’s close to: “Well, each of us [has] different influences. My greatest influence was actually at home. My mother was a singer. My family encouraged me from a young age, so I grew up and lived in that way!”

(“Chasing The Saturdays” airs on Sundays, 10 p.m. on E! Philippines.) 

No comments: