Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Retrieved Memories

Image hosted by Photobucket.comClockwise: My first grade report card, my high school grad pic, my character Bright Blade (now called the Bladesmith) from 1989, me in prom-wear, a Corey Hart concert ticket, and a Linda Hamilton trading card from Terminator 2.

Vinnie of Comic Quest told me last week that old shop members will be getting special prizes if they present their old membership cards as part of their 20th anniversary celebration. I knew I saw mine some time last year, but I couldn’t exactly tell where I put it. So I rummaged through my ever-trusty wooden cabinet, which had gotten really crowded since I last cleaned it up (well, kind of) a year ago.

All sorts of interesting junk, as well as wonderful, forgotten valuables have gathered there through the years, most of them now smelling of a weird mixture of naphthalene balls and newspaper ink. I took the opportunity to sort out the mess, which triggered the recollection of many interesting memories.

I neatly stacked over three years’ worth of newspapers (ones where my articles appeared in), school memorabilia, and a lot of artwork and other paper clutter in separate plastic bags. I discovered old school retreat letters from people whose names I can’t really give faces to anymore. I found decades-old report cards, a box containing around ten medals won from high school art contests (several of them poster and slogan-making competitions) and a mix of good and horrible college thesis plates. There’s a sense of disconnection when I unearthed old love letters, unsent missives, and personal notes that were seemingly written by an altogether different person (well, in a sense, many of us aren’t the same persons we were even just a few months ago, but I digress). I saw ancient pictures of old lovers, friends, acquaintances, and even Manila Bay (for a worthless college subject), tons of photocopied pages of both published and unreleased Alamat projects, original characters drawn on index cards, tryout pages for American companies that went nowhere, a clipping of a prayer to St. Jude, a ton of action figure blister cards, dozens of food delivery receipts, empty foil packs of fantasy trading cards (remember them?), a Corey Hart (Never Surrendeeeerrr!) concert ticket, two cool paintings by John and other stuff that mean nothing to other people.

Wow. My life is simple and I’m generally a quiet person, but looking at these pieces of evidence from my forgotten and not-too-distant past, I'm reminded that I really experienced an assortment of silent upheavals and victories as a teen and beyond, necessary chaos that still shape me into who and what I am now. Sifting through all that really felt strange in good, funny, and even embarrassing ways.

After over an hour of looking, I found a membership card… a Filbar’s card. But it was okay. I was having fun dissecting my different mindsets with every significant object I encountered. I did find my old CQ card eventually, stuck in an old notebook that was pinned down by a couple of VHS tapes and ratty X-Men comic books. I was member # 040.

9 comments:

JaymsterBean said...

hi oliver!

na-inspire tuloy ako maglinis ng room ko. hehehehe. :o)

maybe i'll do it sometime this week! haha

sky said...

Naks! "A good model for the boys to emulate."

OLIVER said...

Hey Jamie! Andaming kwento sa kalat. :) By the way, I think I saw you entering Mercury Drug- Glorietta last Saturday. But I wasn't sure.

Sky, oo nga eh. That killed me. :D

slim whale said...

everybody seems to be going back to old memories these days...

OLIVER said...

Yup. They're safe places. Romanticized, but safe. :)

Nice post about your past, by the way.

JaymsterBean said...

errr... yeah, i was in Glorietta last Saturday and i did go to Mercury. most probably that was me you saw! haha

Anonymous said...

hi oliver, jude here from singapore. im new to this bog thingy. i sent a comment earlier but dunno if u got it. im guessing it went to desparate housewife's comment hahaha

cheers
judecastillo@yahoo.com

bels said...

i still need to clean my room.

i have no idea where my report cards are, the ones before law school ruined my academic record.

terminator 2 rocked my world; i wanted to be as strong as sarah connor.

i need to clean my room, just like they did in the sugarfree song

OLIVER said...

Jude!!! Sige email kita. Nice to hear from you. Antagal mo na dyan ha. :)

Hi Bels. I loved Sarah Connor/ Linda Hamilton too... I wanted to have biceps like hers back then. :)