Monday, September 05, 2005

82 Songstresses

Yep, I’m obsessive. Drew these around the time I was making myself mix tapes (tapes!) inspired by Sarah McLachlan’s all-female Lilith Fair. These are some of the most reference-intensive 11” X 17” drawings I’ve ever done. I had no internet connection then, so I gathered magazines, newspaper photos, album covers, and even VHS tapes containing music videos (which I paused to copy two artists' faces). I feel like doing a new one… someday. Clickety click.

41 Women Who Rock, Sept. 1998 (pen and ink)

41 More Women Who Rock, May 2000 (pen and ink)

Not Mere Words, Too…

“Promises mean everything when you're little, and the world's so big. I just don't understand how you can smile with all those tears in your eyes when you tell me, ‘everything is wonderful now’.”
--Everclear, “Wonderful”

”We got loud guitars and big suspicions, great big guns and small ambitions. And we still argue over who is God.”
--Sheryl Crow, “It’s Hard to Make a Stand”.

“But you like the taste of danger, it shines like sugar on your lips, and you like to stand in the line of fire just to show you can shoot straight from your hip. There must be a thousand things you would die for. I can hardly think of two.”
--Indigo Girls, “Mystery”

“So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table, finding faith and common ground the best that they were able. And just before the meal was served, hands were held and prayers were said, sending hope for peace on earth to all their gods and goddesses.”
--Dar Williams, “The Christians and the Pagans”

“Take the hero's place and the hero's name; manufacture spiels for a stranger's sake. Oh, you bitch for truth and you damn well know you're fake.”
--Imago, “Otherwise”

“Sunset sailing on April skies. Bloodshot fire clouds in her eyes. I can't say what I might believe, but if God made you, he's in love with me.”
--Five for Fighting, “If God Made You”

3 comments:

Ian said...

I've always preferred women rockers over men. Imago, Dar Williams and Indigo Girls are some of the most influential musicians in my life :)

sky said...

My eyes are seeing Tracy Thorn on the second 41. Rightmost column.

Now where is Sinead?

OLIVER said...

Ian- Many women lyricists and singers are extra-sensitivite and are unafraid to show vulnerability, which is one of the rasons why I like them. But of course, there's Michael Stipe, Rufus Wainwright, and the Emo boys, who are exceptions to the unwritten rock-is-tough-and-macho rule. :)

Sky- First 41, extreme right column, top row. :)