Saturday, September 10, 2005

Moving Forward, Using All My Breath

Inspired by a taggable at Slimwhale’s.

20 years ago…
I was a kid in the ‘80s. Everything felt simple. All I looked forward to were practically the same things I like now. I look at that time with fondness. I was a geeky kid, but I disliked the overachievers. I was getting bored with school, since I was classmates with the same people for three years. Pop culture had an important part in shaping my opinions and hobbies. This was before cable and the internet, so we watched the same things (the occasional American music videos, TODAS, and Newswatch); we listened to the same songs our older siblings adored; we regularly went to the first few McDonald’s outlets. The country’s political situation was chaotic, and as a grade school student, patriotism, love of God, and fortitude were paramount. The cast of political characters back then presented clear, contrasting sides to a conflict, unlike now.

15 years ago…
I was being transformed by a volatile environment filled with healthy competition, inspired people, and stupid peer pressure.

10 years ago…
…is a time I can’t remember clearly, for some reason. Oh, I started drawing a few pages of Dhampyr. But the project was shelved for about a year, and I started to work on it again when I found enough free time.

5 years ago…
Whilce Portacio
trained me for a few months, shortly before he and his family left for the US. This was a big deal for me too because it was free. He had an art school at Megamall called Learn. I was never a part of that, but he saw my persistence in doing art samples and decided to teach me important penciling lessons himself.

3 years ago…
Doug Miers
of Comics Conspiracy offered me a two-pager, The Cancer Killer. I also began writing comic book reviews for MTV Ink. This was the same time that Sir Louie Camino, then-editor of a popular broadsheet's entertainment section, encouraged me to keep sending him reviews and articles. I began meeting a number of interesting people through my different jobs. The LNA strip in Pulp wrapped up by September of that year, too.

1 year ago…
…it was busy. Very busy.

This year…
…is happening way too quick. Pretty decent, though. More people becoming acquainted with my work through this blog and my comic book.

Yesterday…
… wasn’t too bad. Did things as required.

Last night…
I was a zombie. I only had about two hours sleep.

Tomorrow…
The sun will come out.

Next year…
It’s hard to see. I don’t have precognition or a time machine. It’s unmapped, as far as I’m concerned.

5-10 years from now…
The world will be destroyed by invading aliens in 2012. Resistance is freaking futile.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Taken last week.

6 comments:

slim whale said...

wow, you were a geek too! welcome to the club! we could've been friends if we were in the same school back then.

OLIVER said...

Yeah, I was shy and I was friends with the low-profile/bespectacled/quiet ones so I guess we could've been. :)

rmacapobre said...

"wportacios learn .. i was never part of it"

i was part of it and i was majorly disappointed. also, accordg to star trek lore, vulcans will arrive as soon as we develope warp technology (thats in 2063) but until then .. resident of a pre-warp civilization ..

OLIVER said...

Really? Why was it disappointing? I was taught at the studio near Cubao.

Oh, the alien invasion thing was a reference to the X-Files. 2012 is the last year in an ancient calendar that supposedly foretells the end of the world.

rmacapobre said...

disappointing at sm megamall?

because i went under the impression that we were going to be taught by him how to draw comics, but instead it was really about how to use photoshop to color comics. plus he wasnt really around to teach. i saw him on the first day. thats it.

2012

great. it was never my intention to die old. this way i wont have to deal with wether or not suicide is moral. hehehe.

OLIVER said...

Ah, okay. Hmmmm.....

About the 2012 thing: hehehe... the idea of the Mayan calendar tying up with the X-Files' mythology is interesting, that's all. You'll grow old. :)