Thursday, February 02, 2006

Apocalypse, Yow! and Evil Old Geisha

I was able to complete the Marvel Legends-Apocalypse set the first day it came out in stores! Yay! Was able to assemble the huge bonus figure immediately. Downside, each figure now costs thirty pesos more. Groan. And my Maestro Hulk figure doesn’t have the belt-to-elbow coil that should accompany giant Apocalypse’s arm. But since I also got the white Sasquatch too, the extra arm has the rubber coil thingie. White Sasquatch was originally Snowbird, and later the vessel housing original orange Sasquatch’s soul (long story), but the character was sort of revived as a member of the dimension-hopping Exiles. There, she's a black Heather Hudson, the wife of one reality’s Wolverine. I got it too because it's like having an altogether new character. The repaint looks good.

Haven't been exercising lately. Gaining and losing considerable weight has been a constant for the last three years. Quirky part of the family genes, I suppose. Last month or so, I ran into an acquaintance who told me, “Magpataba ka pa para walang magkagusto sa iyo.” Whaddafuck?! Spirit of the Staircase—I should have reacted, now that I think about it—“Okey lang. At least di ako nakakatakot na gurang tulad mo.” But during the time, I just said something like, “that’s just the way my body is” or some such. He answered, “That’s a defeatist attitude”. Well, in a way it may be. And I understand that he was trying to encourage me to slim down in his own unorthodox way. Well, I didn’t really expect or appreciate that piece of sage advice from someone I barely know. Or like. Eh.

But I do miss being lighter. I still can be, if I watch my diet more carefully and exercise more; I’ve done it before and I can be that way again. But I’m being realistic. I can’t get back to being really fit, like in this picture, taken when I was... almost half my age now, I think. Was doing push ups like crazy then, and didn't eat merienda and just stayed in the library during breaks. Wow, I looked kinda hot and virginal. If I do say so myself.

1 comment:

OLIVER said...

Thanks Eon. :)

Oh no, Glenn showed you the yearbook!