Sunday, February 05, 2006

Percepticrat

Some highlights of a surreal, fun, educational weekend. Not necessarily in that order.

Was with the unholy popes (John and Benedict) last Saturday. Ate a very late, 2 a.m. dinner at Chowking, somewhere in Quezon City. While they were talking about work and stuff, the radio played Maria McKee’s “Show Me Heaven”, a simple but beautiful ballad that’s been covered many times in the past decade by other female artists, including Tina Arena and Jessica Andrews. I really like that rarely played original version. It was part of the Days of Thunder soundtrack, back in 1990, when couch-jumping Mr. Cruise and the talented Ms. Kidman just became an item. Here are the words:

Show Me Heaven
Maria McKee


There you go, flashing fever from your eyes. Hey baby, come over here and shut them tight. I'm not denying, we're flying above it all. Hold my hand; don't let me fall. You've such amazing grace. I've never felt this way. Oh, show me heaven, cover me. Leave me breathless. Oh, show me heaven, please.

Here I go; I'm shaking just like the breeze. Hey baby, I need your hand to steady me. I'm not denying. I'm frightened as much as you. Though I'm barely touching you, I've shivers down my spine. And it feels divine. Oh, show me heaven, cover me. Leave me breathless. Oh, show me heaven please.

Do you know what it's like to dream a dream? Baby, hold me tight and let this be, oh, heaven, cover me. Leave me breathless. Oh, show me heaven please.


John and I gave the Piglet “free” arcade game stubs that we got during a preview screening. They’re not really free because you have to pay for the swiping card thing, but it’s still an okay bargain. Got to play some cathartic shooting games at Megamall and Market, Market too.

Benedict and I met up with Comic Brooker Gumby briefly at DK. He gave me a lovely new mix CD, once again.

(James-Laid, Sophie Zelmani- Always You, Iron and Wine- Naked As We Came, U2- Stuck in a Moment, Leona Naess- Lazy Days, Poison- Something to Believe In, K’s Choice- In Your Room, Sinead Lohan- No Mermaid, Sundays- Wild Horses, REM- Leaving New York, Motels- Suddenly Last Summer, Asia- Days Like These, Amy Jo Johnson- Puddle of Grace, Kim Carnes- Bette Davis Eyes, Lemonheads- Paid to Smile, The Bible- Graceland, Sarah McLachlan- Blackbird, 38 Special- Second Chance, Kenny Loggins- Conviction of the Heart, Heather Nova- We Can Work It Out)

Finally met ProGay Philippines president Oscar Edgar Atadero. He gave me a very informative Pink Card, which he passes around in certain parts of Quezon City. At the top part of the multi-folding paper, it says:

“The purpose of this PINK CARD is to ensure the safety and security of bar patrons and party goers, especially those who are Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Transgenders (LGBTs) from corrupt law enforcers/police and criminals who pose as law enforcers.

PINK CARD is an initiative of the RAINBOW RIGHTS Project (R-Rights), Inc. 27 Oakville Street, White Plains, Quezon City 1110 EMAIL: r_ rightsproject AT yahoo DOT com.”

R-Rights, it adds, is a group of lawyers and legally informed activists which “provides the LGBT community with an academic think tank and legal resource center dedicated to sexual orientation law and public policy.”

The card has small charts that break down info when one is arrested, or is threatened with arrest. For example:

CRIME: GRAVE SCANDAL
Usual Targets: Sex acts inside cinemas, restrooms, and public places
OFFENDER: Any person who shall offend against against decency or good customs by any highly scandalous conduct.
NOT OFFENDER: You are NOT liable for GRAVE SCANDAL if:
-you are NOT doing anything offensive or highly scandalous conduct; or,
-it is not a public place; or,
-nobody would be scandalized.
ALLOWED DETENTION PERIOD: 12 hours (within this period, you have to be formally charged; otherwise you should be released)


The card also lists helpful information if one is accused of prostitution, vagrancy, and the like. It lists numbers that one might need during related emergencies as well. Thanks to hardworking and noble volunteers Oscar, Attorneys Angie Umbac and Anne Lim for sharing some enlightening and realistic views about such issues. For further information on gay rights issues, events and the Pink Card, visit ProGay’s blog and the listed addys above.

Watched some really awesome episodes of Justice League Unlimited. Spoiler alert for those who’ve yet to see "Grudge Match". The most memorable episode for me to date brings back Roulette, but this time, she's mind-controlled the heroines of the JLU! Ultimate girl fight! Fire versus Black Canary! Black Canary versus Huntress! Vixen versus Shayera! Canary, Huntress, Vixen and Shayera versus… Wonder Woman! The Amazon princess was shown in its first season to be capable of going toe to toe with Superman, so imagine the shock of the assembled female crimefighters when she enters the ring. Damn, the JLU DVD is gonna be one sweet commodity one day. I love this show. Hope it airs forever.

3 comments:

rmacapobre said...

JLA. i like it when they make fun of batman.

OLIVER said...

Yes. In the comic books, they've been mocking him a lot lately.

rmacapobre said...

maybe its because hes the one whos have had a lot of breaks. how many tv shows and movies been done with him as lead. the other heroes might be in on it .. theyre jealous hee hee hee ..