Monday, July 16, 2007

The Lovers, the Dreamers, Me

Paint It Black

Haven’t had any beer in over a month. I kinda miss it, actually, and the feeling of intoxication that comes with finishing several bottles. I think it has something to do with sleeping; the spinning feeling, prior to dozing off or after doing something boneheaded under the influence, is an interesting one for me. Anyway, am doing just fine without it. But I do miss it sometimes.

Nothing much lately. Same old. Waiting for some things, like Mozzie’s EP. Six songs, according to Pam. I wanna own that. It’s out soon, so yay!

I’m also on the lookout for that good-looking Marvel Legends Thor (the new Lord of Asgard version). Apparently, that’s the most sought-after figure from the set; the other characters look really unappealing (I’m looking at you, X3 Jean Grey and Juggernaut!). I’ll probably just get Thor when he reappears, and maybe Quicksilver.

Saw a few things last week. John and I attended preview screenings of Ratatouille (love it!) and Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (it had some nice big moments). Don’t feel like talking about them now in detail, though, but yeah, they’re both movies that kids and their parents might enjoy watching.

Briefly hung out with Benedict last Saturday. He cosplayed during the New Worlds event at Rockwell, and later won again for his now war-worn Bumblebee costume. He’s the third placer this time. His Bumblebee and transforming Brawn costumes have won two awards each at different events, and he’s been appearing in a number of shows and exhibits with them. Cool thing to see kids and similarly excited adults rush to where he and fellow Transformers cosplayers are, and have pictures taken with them.

Oh, yeah, before I forget, I had my left fingernails painted black. Not to symbolically mark any emo-whatever phase or anything. I just felt like doing it. Benedict seems kinda amused by it.

Bizarre Love Triangle

Three’s company and a crowd (pic from Yahoomovies)

“Someone once said, there’s no such thing as love, only proofs of love.’” –Isabelle

Saw Bernardo Bertolucci’s The Dreamers. What a sad, sexy film. Cineastes Theo (Louis Garrel), Isabelle (Eva Green) and Matthew (remember Michael Pitt from Dawson’s Creek?) share an apartment in France, and apart from their love for cinema, they really are fond of each other. But the thing is, Theo and Isabelle are twins, and their uncommon closeness is weirding Matthew out. Still, the siblings and their new American friend discover that their love for film and some heated debates can lead to other passionate pursuits. Erotic and masterfully shot, The Dreamers is a feast for the eyes and the mind, a film that offers challenging insights on artistry, as well as the political and social upheavals of the era.

Oh, and I love it when Isabelle touched Matthew’s “red, ripe, luscious lips” and wanted to put lipstick on ‘em, believing he’d make a pretty girl. Cute and funny.

Sometimes a Fantasy

Check out my art blog. If I haven’t posted these drawings there, I will one of these days. This illustration above was done in July 2000. The Cavalry, from “Utopia Comics,” originally drawn on 11” X 17” cartolina. It’s a pseudo-cover, and it's kind of my homage to superhero lineup change covers. I wanted to put as many of my characters on it as I could. The final roster, I think, was made up of nine typical team tokens (a few powerhouses, a reformed villain, a loose cannon, an enigma, etc.) Boy, I had a lot of time back then. It’s a double-sized issue at $1.50, so I probably pretended that it came out in the late ‘80s.

This here’s a re-imagining of the characters from Psigns. Isaac (the cryokinetic) and Hob (the, um, magic hat wielder) as grownups. Gel pen on small Bristol board, drawn last week.

Really enjoyed doing these drawings.

9 comments:

sky said...

Re: The Dreamers--the twins weird me out too, just like the Chenowith siblings in Six Feet Under. But then I know artistes blur boundaries. You and I know that.

Btw, haven't heard the Ryan Taylor Bliss song yet. Wasn't able to find one.

PLDT HOME said...

hey oliver!

you went to our event pala!

hope you had fun @ New Worls: Transformed...
sayang... had I known you'd be there... I would've introduced myself...

anyway, do check out our website: www.newworlds.ph...

OLIVER said...

Sky,

Hmm, I wonder if the Chenoweths hooked up, eventually? Maybe that was the untold story in the "future" epilogues. The Dreamers twins are less repressed, I think, heheh... :D

Ryan Taylor Bliss, I put his video in the previous entry, it's that Youtube screen below. It has links to his other works; they show up after one viewing, I think. Maybe hindi viewable sa office?

Anyway, he has a Myspace page. And he's got a number of covers and originals at Youtube. Check them out. I think you'll like him. :)

Nick,

Hey, man. I'm assuming you're Niki Yarte. You're the only Nick there at the site. :)

Was there only briefly. But I'm confident that we'll meet one of these days. :)

PLDT HOME said...

yup
that would be me
you also joined my friendster group - avengers mansion philippines!
hehehe!

yeah - see ya!
BTW, I read from the previous blog posts that you work for a newspaper?
might i ask which paper in particular?

OLIVER said...

Yup, I'm a member of that group.

I contribute to PDI. :)

sky said...

Youtube, Myspace, Friendster and a lot of good stuff are banned in the office. Good lord. I can't even log on to blogger.

You know there's only one thing that holds me back.

OLIVER said...

Awwww....

Well, maybe just go to a net cafe soon, or something. :)

PLDT HOME said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PLDT HOME said...

Was there only briefly. But I'm confident that we'll meet one of these days. :)
--->this is so surreal...
talk about a chance encounter...
two weeks later, we meet at Fandom Cafe!
nice chatting with you last night oliver!