Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sitting So Pretty With a Criminal Grace

Gotham by Batlight

My Bat-Family. Left to right: Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, Batman, Batwoman, Huntress and Nightwing. Hmm, I wonder why Gotham’s criminals still stay in the city, when these masked protectors will just keep pounding on them when they get caught? Yeah, they’re masochistic, and are often led by the crazy Arkham-ites, but still. Maybe Bats and company should start busting them as a tighter team, like this take-no-crap bogeyman army, and not chase after loony thugs separately. Throw in Oracle, the new Question, and maybe new people that can take over the Azrael, Orpheus, and Spoiler identities, and it’s gonna be crime-free in a matter of days. But even then, the opposition will probably hire a JLA-level threat to keep Gotham streets bat-free. Still, a more organized Bat-team looks mighty cool.

In the Front Row, the Front Row

Had a great time at the invitational screening of The Simpsons Movie. Well, I had to embarrass myself first 'cause I got persuaded into joining a contest prior to the showing. Let me just say that I know that I have some genuine talents, but singing a song that I don’t know just isn’t one of ‘em. Gack. I wanted to join the trivia contest, not that other fricking game (where we had to be judged by the clapping audience!). John, who went to the CR prior to me joining (too much time was being wasted, I had to step up!) told me that he could practically see a gigantic “WTF?!” in his head as he saw me in front. He laughed his ass off, while I was wishing that the earth would just swallow me. Well, I was a good sport, and I’m not thinking about how bad I was at that, at least not too much.

What a weird experience. I got some consolation goodies like a Simpsons notebook, stickers, and a kid’s wristwatch (which I hope John’s niece will like). Well, thought joining it was gonna be painless. It started when the deejay-host was looking for a third contestant; he singled me out ‘cause I was only a few feet from him in the front row, and he called me “a lovely man.” He asked if I wanted to try, and I just had to say, “Sure, why not.”

I’m such an easy slut, sometimes.

Arrh, Eighteen

Looking back, the toughest part of being eighteen? That's a hard one. For me, among them was trying to survive my sophomore college year, which didn’t feel as fun or as breezy as the first year. The subjects, the company and the professors weren’t as interesting, save for those few instances and rare souls who made life easier and more meaningful for me. But generally, I didn’t feel too into my school work. I found it burdensome to be attending classes that felt like a waste of time, and to be lugging around art instruments and illustration boards when I could just hang out somewhere and escape. I felt preoccupied, and those drawing sessions didn’t feel as relaxed to me as they used to be. But I was able to get into them again, inspired and rejuvenated, the next school year.

The photo above was taken at Filbar’s Galleria, during one of comic book artist Whilce Portacio’s earliest signing appearances. I was digging the art of Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee as well, back then. I got into comic books more, and wanted to become involved in the creation process of some eventually. That year was also the time I was introduced to the works of greats such as Simon Bisley and Nick Manabat, and to fellow artist-creators and devout comics fans.

As far as being considered an adult is concerned, I didn’t really think about it seriously during those days. But as a first-time voter, I was quite excited, idealistic, maybe a little naïve. It was a little funny that the poll watcher had to ask me my year of birth because I probably looked younger than my age. Going to R-18 movies was hassle-free too, not that I got questioned about it when I’d watch them as a younger teenager. But the censors-butchered films for adults at the time were often bewildering.

At that age, almost everything led to a momentous turning point. Personal milestones took place. There were some endings, quiet epiphanies, and the beginning of new things.

Nailed Ya

Had those fingernails looking that way for almost a week. I had to remove ‘em after one nail’s paint started chipping off. The pic was taken at Rockwell, when I was resting near where the New Worlds Alliance was having their event. That white rubber bracelet, I got that last summer. It entitled me to free beer. Drank like a fish. Fun times.

Speaking of fun, I’ve seen some episodes of Kathy Griffin’s My Life on the D-List. The woman is damn funny and smart. She used an interesting analogy (okay, I’m gonna paraphrase for a bit) when she explained how a magazine she was contributing to kept contacting her about a piece that she’d do for them. But after a while, when she’d call them about the finished piece, she felt somewhat ignored. She likened it to such a situation where a person courted her incessantly, then slept with her, but couldn’t be reached when she tried contacting him. After the chase, it’s like the magazine wasn’t interested anymore. It’s like being told, Kathy deadpanned, “We f*cked you!”

Funny and sad, ‘cause it’s so true.

8 comments:

PLDT HOME said...

hmm...
I remember turning 18...
I was in vancouver hoarding the local comic book shop for all the Age of Apocalypse back issues I can afford so I can complete my collection...

OLIVER said...

That's cool, Nick. A real Marvelite, you definitely are. :)

glenncruz said...

hey there "lovely man"... ^_^ Nice "bat collection" you got there; am just a bit bothered at how the current interpretation of Robin has too-developed musculature.

OLIVER said...

Hello Glenn! Thank you. :D

Yeah, I agree about the super-muscular Robin. First time I saw him, I said, "That's not a high school student."

Gerry Alanguilan said...

ha! ha! I remember that guy! coincidentally, I also wrote about Nick in my latest entry.

OLIVER said...

Gerry,

Hehe... I think the pic was taken days after that Mister Donut meeting. :)

Nice post about Nick, by the way.

Reno said...

You look like Bjork in that 18-yr-old pic, man. :)

OLIVER said...

Reno,

Really? Ayokooo!!!! :D

But seriously, my Mom, when she was young, she resembled Bjork. Minus the, you know, weirdness... hehe