Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Saturday Stunners

Mash Master

Six or so years ago, I wanted to join the local version of The Weakest Link. I didn’t watch it religiously, but the few times that I tuned in with some family members, I did pretty well in answering some tough questions correctly. I’d get the look a few times. Actually, there were two: the “oh my god, are we related” look, and the “oh, just go and join already” look. But no, I didn’t even try asking about it. Also, I felt that I’d be eliminated quickly for one reason or another if I did join.

Last Saturday, there was a contest, a considerably smaller one that I knew I had to join. I felt that it was just as prestigious, even when very few people knew about it. It was right up my alley, too. The Marvel Mind Mash trivia game was held during the launch of the third Hasbro Marvel Legends set, and the moment I read the announcement less than a week before, I just knew that it’s just going to be perfect for me. Without hesitation, I pre-registered, half-hoping that I’d get the assembled Queen Brood figure or another prize. I know, it’s counting chickens, but if there’s anything that my head hasn’t dumped, it’s useless comic book information.

And that was going to prove useful, maybe for the first time. So I reviewed some of the Marvel Universe Handbooks, sorta cramming the day before the contest. I went there to Toy Palace in Cubao on Saturday noon, confident that there wouldn’t be a lot of hopefuls. Well, no. There were 13 of us, initially, and we answered a mix of easy and tough questions on personal Mickey Mouse whiteboards. Suddenly, I switched off my “eyes on the prize” mode and tried to concentrate on getting a competitive score.

It was tougher than I expected. I didn’t know who debuted in Tales of Suspense! I answered Thor, but the correct answer was Iron Man. Still, I got six out of ten right for the first round, so I was with two other guys with high scores for the next round. I’m still kinda proud that I got “Hammer Bay” (What is the capital of Genosha?), as well as “Homo Mermanus” (What is the scientific name of Marvel’s gill-breathing race?). Some people clapped with that last one. It was fun, and I was a little nervous.

The final round had its share of tough ones, but I felt they were easier than the previous questions. The other guy, Patrick, knew his Marvel trivia too. But I was able to get to ten points more quickly. Yay, nerdiness! After almost 30 questions in those three rounds, I am the Marvel Mind Mash grand winner! I was supposed to get the assembled Brood Queen, but Patrick and I swapped prizes. He’s cool for suggesting and being serious with it, because I fancied the four-figure X-Men set more than the Brood (which looked unimpressive and lacking in articulation… but that’s just me).

So on a Marvel Legends diorama base, I have the winged robot Danger, Daniel Cudmore-inspired Colossus, Astonishing X-Men Cyclops and Rachel Summers-Marvel Girl! Picture-taking ensued, and I was one happy uber-geek.

Marvel Mind Mash winner. I’ll hold on to the title gladly until the next toy launch. I’m still grinning.

Thank you Cybertron Philippines for the pictures!

Motley Mozzie

Against doctor’s orders, I went out Saturday evening. It wasn’t gonna be strenuous; I just wanted to attend Pam Pastor’s birthday bash. I already said yes to her invite a week prior. It’s been a while since I attended a Mozzie gig, too, so I was really looking forward to hear and watch them perform again. The last time I watched was back in May, so I really missed them. I was just crossing my fingers that I wasn’t spreading whatever it was I was sick with.

After my afternoon victory (see previous entry), nothing was gonna stop me from enjoying the day even more. Benedict was kind enough to bring me there to Route 196 in Katipunan, where some attendees were dressed in Halloween costumes, including the band. Benedict, star cosplayer, quickly had costume envy.

The food was awesome; thin-crust pizza, chicken strips with sour cream dip, and nachos were yummy. Didn’t feel like drinking beer, though, so I guzzled diet soda instead. Mozzie performed hot covers of songs by No Doubt (“Excuse Me Mister,” “I’m Just a Girl,” “Spiderwebs”) and Alanis (“Uninvited,” etc.) while people ate and drank. Pam eventually sang the original, crowd fave “Bolgia Six,” and another whose title I forget. I was surprised most by their rocking renditions of E-Heads classics “Toyang” and “Magasin!” Oh man, that was a real treat.

Clad in her Little Red Goth Chick Hood costume, Pam energetically bounced up and down, admittedly another pleasant surprise since I’ve only seen Mozzie perform acoustic sets before.

She’s having the time of her life. Apart from her job as editor, she’s living her dreams and going on adventures right now. Good for her. And good for us, too. She and Mozzie are a fun and awesome band, and they should keep rocking for as long as they’re able.

I’m still waiting for the first record, but I’m confident that it’ll be so worth the wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the quiz bee victory! galeng galeng!

joelmcvie said...

Congrats! Nerdiness wins it, hahaha.

OLIVER said...

Eon, Joel, thanks so much! :)

Unknown said...

Your knapsack is so nerdy I love it! Hugs to you your pack and your toys...